Friday, February 10, 2012

Turning Emotions Off, Going Around in Circles

I suppose I should have been ready for flaky potential roommates to cancel at the last minute. I also probably shouldn’t have changed my own personal plans to accommodate potential roommates.

The woman that seemed eager to see the place just a few days ago, called me five minutes after our scheduled meeting time to cancel.  Oh well. I went roller skating instead.

It was another fun night at the roller rink. What cheap entertainment! And it’s quite a workout for the legs. I fell once. Hard.  Face first. Chin making solid and direct contact with the wooden floor. Dazed, I stood up, expecting blood. Surprisingly there was none. I didn’t bite my tongue off, nor did I break my jaw. 

++++++++++++++++++++++

Got a call from my late wife’s step-father today. I had asked him to look into a plaque, headstone, or some type of memorial for my wife. The family and I would like to spread or bury some of her ashes with her father. Her father died at 41 years old of the same genetic disease.

It was a bit tough taking that phone call at work, but I’m glad it happened. I had asked her folks to help with this plan, as I thought it might help them with some closure. I think getting the information from the cemetery was a bit harder on them than I expected, but they also seemed very thankful to be doing the legwork.  We have an appointment to meet with the cemetery people in a couple of weeks. I feel strangely detached yet full of grief.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

I have a busy weekend planned. Tonight I have an appointment with my shrink, then breakfast with my hiking partner Saturday morning, and trying to move a few things Saturday afternoon. Sunday I am skipping Ecstatic Dance in order to have breakfast with my Vintage store owner friend, and then the two of us are going to some estate sales to look at dead people’s things for my new house. Sunday evening I have dinner with Super Bowl Woman….I still need to find a groovy restaurant for us to go to….

+++++++++++++++++++++++

It might be fun to buy my own set of roller-skates. .......A couples skate in the reverse direction, while Journey's "Faithfully" plays over the loudspeaker.......

6 comments:

  1. I feel bad about the comment I made about super bowl girl now that you are going out w/ her. Have a fun weekend. I think it is kind of you to let your late wife's parents have so much involvement in her memorial. You will find great roommates, I'm sure. -T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are on the same wavelength with Super Bowl Woman, so no worries :)

      And I am grateful to my wife's folks for allowing me to still be in their lives.

      Delete
    2. I think it is the other way around. They are lucky to have you in their lives and so lucky that you loved their daughter so well. That is HUGE! I speak from experience on this topic. But not a good experience, unfortunately. - T.

      Delete
  2. Roller skating! what fun.... enjoy yourself at whatever ...

    We had rented our house out ... what a nightmare... even went so far as to hire a finder type situation because we had moved a couple hours away. I can not begin to tell you even with background checks and all sorts of upfront money... hoe you can ripped off.... not worth the hassle unless it's what you do for a living ... with lots of time to be a landlord.

    Estate sales are fun and I feel exactly the way you do. Looking at dead -- usually women's stuff or they have been placed in a nursing home or such...

    Be so glad when you have the closure you need...

    Anxious to hear about Sunday night! Nice open but intimate atmosphere so you can talk .... aw

    ReplyDelete
  3. hoe? HAHaaaaa... how you can be ripped off... sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually bought a hoe this weekend ... and also a shovel at one of the Estate Sales....

      Delete