Tuesday, September 27, 2011

quiet star-filled nights

Hiking with my in-laws for the last 3 days. It was challenging and humbling for this 43 year old. My pack weighed about 25 pounds, and the steep trails really wore me out. My backpack is an Osprey Atmos 65 that I bought from REI.com. I love it. The back mesh support kept me from overheating, and the pack itself held all I needed, and rode easy on my hips. Drinking fresh spring water (we filtered it through a MSR Miniworks EX Microfilter) was wonderful!

The quiet moments around the campfire with my brother-in-law were most cherished. When we have time to talk, it’s like I am able to hear my wife’s voice come through him. He is a great sounding board for ideas and he brings up the thoughtful questions and gentle prodding of the nitty-gritty of the discussion just like his sister did. I am very thankful for him. And it’s painful at the same time.

My Mother-in-Law didn’t join us on the hike, but I was also able to have some private time with her to discuss a permanent memorial for her daughter’s ashes. I wasn’t able to hold it together very well, but as the tears rolled down, we were able to talk about a final resting place for my wife.

My Father-in-law and Sister-in-law also were invaluable this weekend in some deep conversation with thoughtful insights. They truly are Good Family and I am grateful for them.

I am holding fast to my plan of getting a mortgage with the intention of getting a house large enough for 2 roommates.  

No comments:

Post a Comment